Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Conflicted Addiction

Firstly, and I swear this is somewhat relevant, my Kindle (touch) has become ill. It's not quite right. I want to read this book. No, you may not. Okay, I'd like to download a new book. No, you may not. At least it isn't rude about it, right? Unfortunately, and fortunately, I will be purchasing the new Kindle Paperwhite very soon.

This, abstractly, leads to my next topic.

In both junior high and high school I had a close knit group of friends, and when I wasn't talking or laughing or stalking boys with them, I was keeping to myself. Probably reading (See? Loosely related to the previous bit of rambling). I was never involved with the drama that was school and messy friendships, so I would go home and immerse myself in the cat fights and fast relationships of Laguna Beach, lusting over Stephen Colletti in all of my pre-teen glory. When the final episode aired, I was heart broken. But, The Hills soon came on to satiate my cravings for cat fights, fast relationships, and cute guys (Jason Wahler, Brody Jenner, and Justin Bobby - a man so great he needed two names *sigh*). Like all good things, this too came to an end.


 Then, Vanderpump Rules happened, reminding me of every covert occupation of my past, namely my secret fixation with someone else's cat fights, fast relationships, and cute guys. It's like Laguna Beach all over again, only with 30 somethings, bartenders, servers, and like always, cute guys (I choose Tom Schwartz).

I literally cannot get enough. I find myself counting down the days of the week until a new episode airs. I catch myself wondering what it would be like to be a 30 something year old server, with the type of personality that enjoys bickering and dating unfaithful boys, and having friends like the very hot and cold group working at Sur.


 As much as I love the show, and love to scream at Kristen to "JUST LEAVE TOM SANDOVAL ALREADY", I realize that I'm 100%, perfectly content with sitting at home and reading book after book in my (slow and defective) Kindle. It may not be as reliable as it once was, but it doesn't drag me around from relationship to relationship (both friendly and romantic), with unnecessary arguments, ugly work uniforms, and bouts of unfaithful Las Vegas exertions.

I will leave the cat fights and fast relationships to the TV, but not the cute guys because I totally already have one of my own. I'll relish the fact that I avoided it all in school (and so far in work) and stuck with the YA fantasy novels stacked in my locker and downloaded to my Kindle.

I should probably go order my new one now...

xx






No comments:

Post a Comment